The conceptualization of ideas for the establishment of this Agency began in year 2004 as a result of perennial scarcity of Vehicular Number Plates in Lagos State, which was exclusively produced by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC). However, the Authority came into being with the promulgation of a Law to Establish the Lagos State Number Plate Production Authority and for Connected Purposes by the 5th Lagos State House of Assembly.
The bill was assented to, by His Excellency Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu the former Governor of Lagos State, on the 2nd of May, 2006.
The initial challenges at the inception were numerous, however, its emergence:
1. Enrich the Aluminum prints industry and helped in satisfying the production demand experienced by Federal road safety Agency Commission.
2. Curb perennial scarcity of the Number Plates, not only in Lagos State but across the Federation.
3. The Agency’s watershed period was year 2011, with milestone agreement of Number Plate Producers (FRSC and LSNPPA) to collaborate as strategic partners for efficiency and effectiveness. Other benefits include but not limited to the following:
a. Transition from old numbering series to New series.
b. Enhance the Security and Integrity of the Products
c. Secured database for Resource (Data) sharing and synchronization between the institutions.
4. The Authority’s business design models and concept for Production processes was uniquely developed and adopted, bearing in mind the vision of the State. To this effect, the Production Plant is fully automated with sets of Equipment globally acclaimed to be the best.
5. The Agency has been blessed, since inception with Chief Executive Officers, exhibiting uncommon traits; in administration, thinking outside the box, Suave, Urbane and with impeccable character.